Our much nicer 6th day in Auckland..

It's our 6th day in Auckland. I'm beginning to get used to the weather here, and didn't wear my white winter jacket the whole day today.

K and I woke up at 830am today, just so we could catch Martha before she left for work. Yesterday we missed her cause we woke up late at 11am, so thought it won't be so nice if we missed her again today.
I had warm baked beans with 2 slices of white bread for breakfast, while K had ham and lettuce with chocolate spread on his bread. Apparently, Martha is like K. She hates baked beans. K says baked beans are the fave food of the UK, and that's why they fart a lot.. haha.. = )

Martha left for work around 930am, and K and I surfed the internet for a while before we headed out. First stop was to view this car that we spotted on Trade Me. It was the best thing that happened to us today. The first car that we bought had some problems with the fuel tank leaking, and the front lights going on and off on its own. So we had been looking for a second car for the past few day but with no luck. Until yesterday, but because yesterday we didn't have time to meet up with the car owner, we delayed it until this morning. The car owner was a Taiwanese couple who had moved to Auckland more than 15 years ago. They were really really nice to us.. but of course that was not the only reason why we bought the car (yes, now we have 2 cars!). The car itself was very well maintained, and it was clean inside, unlike the first car we bought. The first still had trash inside when we bought it, and K and I had to go to a self serve machine to vacuum the car yesterday. But it was quite fun though! = )

Anyway, the couple invited us into their house for some hot tea. The moment I entered their house, I wanted to shift into their house.. I could really see and feel the difference. The house is so clean!! It's really interesting to see how an Asian's house and a local house can differ so much in terms of cleanliness. I mean, so far, both the houses I have stayed in are really dirty with lots of dust, cobwebs, and of course animal fur. This Taiwanese couple had a dog too, but a really small one with a pathetic bark = ). And it was locked outside in the garage rather than in the house. So no animal fur. Perfect!! And they have really nice smelling toilets, and a washing machine!! I couldn't find any washing machines in my first 2 houses. Interesting.. they probably bring their clothes to the dry washers every week or so. So we had hot tea, and then really fresh and delicious New Zealand apples and oranges and chicken biscuits to go with the tea. We chatted with the couple for nearly 1.5 hours. They were so hospitable, they even helped us to look for jobs and car insurance. We called a few places on the spot using their phone. Apparently, they know quite a few people. They have a daughter who is studying fashion and had worked in a fashion retail outlet before. According to them, the outlet needed people who could speak Mandarin, so they promised they would ask for us. Then they gave us the number of this golf course resort owned by a Taiwanese and we called them immediately, but were asked to send in our resumes by email. They also told us how we could install this program called VOIP Busters for really cheap calls overseas.. And the best thing, the offered to cook noodles for us for lunch. So nice right!! But they also mentioned they were quite bored with nobody to talk to, so maybe they wanted our company also. But we declined the lunch offer. I just didn't want to impose on them too much, although I regretted later.. haha..

Because we had our first car with us and I didn't know how to drive, we agreed to pick up the car tomorrow instead. I am so happy we met this nice couple. = )

When we left their place, we headed to buy some fish and chips for lunch. The fish and chips were recommended by the Taiwanese couple. They also told us that we could get a really nice view from this place called the Ladies' Bay (which is really close to their home). So that was what we did. The fish and chips were really cheap, about $5.60 for a big piece of fish and lots of fries. By the time we got to the bay, it looked like it was going to rain, but we decided to head down the stairs leading to the bay anyway. I took a photo of the sign just before we walked down the stairs.



30 seconds after this photo was taken, K noticed a huge rain cloud blowing in our direction, and immediately shouted: “Run, car, now!” We started running just when the rain started to pour.. haha it was fun.. We thought we had to eat our lunch inside the car again today. But about 3 minutes later, the rain stopped. The rain is really crazy here. It just rains for a few minutes, then stops. Cause the wind is so strong, it blows the rain cloud away easily.

So when the rain stopped, we made our way down the stairs and finally had our fish and chips at the bay. It was not VERY nice, but still one of the more “holiday” things we've done so far, having fish and chips by the big blue sea in nice weather. We had a few pigeons again for company. They were just hovering above us waiting for the food we will leave behind. But of course, we were not going to waste a single cent of the $5.60 we paid!

After lunch, K and I just sat there on the breakwater for a while, took some photos, then headed back to the car. When we reached the car, we saw a full solid rainbow. It was beautiful. Second time in my life I've seen a full rainbow.. so nice.. = )

We headed to Auckland city after that around 330pm. We were supposed to meet Yuri for dinner at a Japanese restaurant at 6pm. So we went to Martha's office to park our car. Then we followed Martha out to the park to bring her dog for a walk. Then we headed to the city to walk around before meeting Yuri at 6pm.

The original plan for dinner was at a really expensive French Cafe downtown. But I didn't want to have French, so I suggested Japanese instead. Also, my Malaysian colleague was also supposed to meet us, but in the end, only Yuri turned up cause the other guy had to clear some work. Which was all the better cause we could talk more casually since I know Yuri much better.

We had sushi, chicken teriyaki, beef shabu shabu, edamame and chawamushi.. Best meal i've had so far. It was not very cheap though, but I wasn't complaining since ExxonMobil was paying!! = P

By the time we finished dinner, it was around 845pm. K and I had to walk past a very dark and lonely park to get back to our cars. For the entire walk back, I was quite worried for our safety. I had my umbrella and whistle in my hand, and K had his swiss army knife in his. It's strange how K makes me feel nervous like this. I never feel like this when I travel alone overseas!! I guess I am really lucky nothing has happened to me so far. = )

We reached home around 10pm. Martha was still awake, and so was her dog and cats. We chatted for a while, and arranged for her to fetch us to her office. We had asked the Taiwanese couple to meet us there with the car. K and I are planning to settle the car stuff tomorrow, then come back home to look for jobs. Then in the evening, we will celebrate Martha's birthday with her.

So far so good.. things are starting to feel more like a “Holiday”, although I am still irritated by my blocked nose. It hasn't cleared since I arrived in Auckland!! The skin on my nose is peeling from all the tissue abrasion and sniffing.. sigh..

1 Response to "Our much nicer 6th day in Auckland.."

  1. Hollywood Tai Tai Says:

    what a nice couple! cigarette with a heart, how cute! is it a subtle way of reminding you about your health?