The Pursuit of Happiness

I've been rather deprived of happiness recently.   I wouldn't say i am UN-happy, just lack some joy and laughter in my life.

I guess it's hard to be happy when you're bored and stuck at home most of the time.  It's really getting more and more difficult for me to walk around nowadays, even in the house.  Bria's getting heavier and i can feel her head descending in my pelvis. Plus, both my feet have swelled for the third time now.. It's been more than a week and it's still swollen.  This time it's the worst, cause it's actually causing me some pain and discomfort compared to the previous two times, especially my left foot.  Mom told me to soak my feet in warm salt water to reduce the swelling, which i did.  But that kinda worsen things cause the swelling and pain got worse.  Then i went to research on the internet, and found out that one of the causes for swollen feet is salt and water retention.  Sigh!  So much for all these old wives' tales!

ANYWAY, since i lack some happiness in my life, i decided to do something about it.  As a start, i decided i was bored of reading, so i rented some DVDs to watch, mostly comedy.   I rented the cartoon "UP", Adam Sandler's "Bedtime Stories" and Angelina Jolie's "Changeling", which isn't comedy at all, but a true story that i thought was really good. I've always had a thing for true story movies. = )


Things started getting "happier" since. During the recent long weekend, i felt as if i was part of the local community that was celebrating Hari Raya Haji.  It was feast after feast. = )  I celebrated both my Dad's and Keson's Grandma's birthday over the weekend.  On Friday, we had seafood lunch with my in laws and Keson's grandma.  We were quite a comical sight, party of 6, and half were sort of "immobile".  My mom in law had one leg in a cast and was in her clutches, grandma with her walking stick, and me, well I was outright waddling.  haha.. i couldn't help smiling when i saw us leaving the restaurant and walking towards our car. = )

On Saturday, i celebrated my Dad's birthday, and then Keson's grandma's birthday on Sunday.  After attending both celebrations, i can't help but feel sad at the huge contrast between the 2 celebrations.  My dad's birthday was celebrated over dinner at a stir fry restaurant in a coffee shop near his HDB flat.  Then we had fruits and the birthday cake back at Dad's house.  It was a simple, small and cosy affair, as with all previous birthdays.  Thing was, it was my Dad's 60th birthday.  So to me, it should have been a big one.  Then again, there's always the big "BUT" when it comes to family celebrations.. = )

For Keson's grandma's birthday, we had an 11-course dinner at a chinese restaurant in Orchard Hotel.  As with previous years, we had a private room with 2 tables.  And every time the whole family gathers together to sing the birthday song, i see so much joy and happiness in grandma's eyes as she witnessed her 3 generations of descendants all gathered together to celebrate her birthday with her.

THIS is what i want when i grow old.  THIS is why i need to have more children.. = )


1 Response to "The Pursuit of Happiness"

  1. Hollywood Tai Tai Says:

    I have the same problem when I want to take my parents out to eat. They usually don't want to stray far from the house and when I do convince them to go somewhere far, they will always complain about the food and makes it seem like a waste of time.

    Over the years, I have just learnt to let go, whatever floats their boat. After all, it's their birthdays so if they are happy with neighbourhood tze char, so be it. :)