Murphy's Law @ Work

Yesterday was an eventful day for me.. talk about Murphy's Law (everything that will go wrong WILL go wrong)!

I reached the office at 8am (haven't done that for SOOO long!) to prepare for the conference call at 9am. When i went to the room to set up my laptop, i saw that the room was still not arranged in the style that i had wanted. In fact, the 2 rooms that were supposed to join togetAher were still separate. I started to get fidgety cause i had a pre-call at 830am and thereafter at 9am, the main conference would start.

I asked the receptionist to get the in-charge to set up my room quickly, and then I proceeded to another room for my pre-call. Folks were supposed to call in from Fairfax, but when i went into the room, both my colleagues (who were supposed to be there) were not there. So i had to call Fairfax, ask them to give me another 5 mins before they call. This delayed time. 5 mins later, we finally got everyone in the room and started with the pre-call. My department's VP was in the call from Fairfax. I had to leave this pre-call to attend another pre-call with my Asia Pac colleagues 10 minutes before the conference. So i left the room and went to the first room where my laptop was. The room was STILL not set up. Just when i was about to get really pissed off, the man in -charge arrived.. He looked hasty and made some comments about him confusing my conference to be at another time. I couldn't care less, and just asked him to please hurry up.

At 9am sharp, the conference was due to start, everyone from Asia Pac (6 countries) had dialled in. I did a roll call, and then realized the Fairfax folks were missing. ARGGHHH!! So i had to call them on their cell phones, then found out they had problems dialling in and were contacting the operator. So i had to tell everyone else to wait for another 5 minutes. Eventually, the entire conference overshot by 30 minutes.

When i went back to my office after the whole damn thing, i got an email informing me that 2 of my colleagues in Australia were left out from Part 2 of the conference due to some miscommunications on their travel schedules. Hai.. Arranging all these logistics is such a tough job!

The good side was, i got a lot of appreciation and recognition from the managers in Asia Pac. Got a free dim sum lunch from the AP Zone sales manager and did my first Loh Hei for the year. My French colleague was there, and i had to explain the significance of Loh Hei and what all the individual ingredients symbolized. Don't think i did a good job on that! haha.. = )

In the evening after work, i went for a farewell dinner at Modestos with my colleagues. Had a good time there, cause this group is the one i am close with. K came and picked me up after that, and we watched "Prison Break" till midnight. It's getting more and more exciting this show! = )

While walking to Modestos, i passed by Ted Baker and there was a sale!!! Up to 60% off. I already targetted a few cuff-link blouses that i really loved.. Will go and take a look again later during lunch.

ANYWAY, i am SOOO glad this conference is now over.. need to focus on getting all my other work done before Chinese New Year now!

1 Response to "Murphy's Law @ Work"

  1. Hollywood Tai Tai Says:

    oh man! you did it. a conference call for 100. gosh. i can't imagine all the work. i hope you had assistants helping out!