Pursuing our dreams..

2 days ago, K and I submitted our applications (which cost us $120 each) for a Work Holiday Progam to work in New Zealand for 6 months. It's kinda been what we've wanted to do for some time already, but we never got down to doing it. Besides, now seems to be the most appropriate time, given that K is nearly out of business, and I am getting rather bored of my job / life in general. Actually, the "want" is much stronger in K than in me. But i am kinda glad we did it anyway. And New Zealand definitely sounds exciting! Once there is some kind of a hint that our Visa will be approved, i will submit my request for unpaid leave for 6 months.


We discussed about this, as i had some resistance towards such a dramatic move. I was concerned about not being able to get my unpaid leave approved. If that's the case, i will have to resign from a well-paying job. K really wants this to happen, and one of the criteria for this program is that we must be below 30 years old. Plus, we are trying for a baby, so we need to do this fast. My second concern was my grandmother, who is getting weaker by the day. But, after much thought, i agree with K that we shouldn't put our lives on hold because of others. Besides, it's just for 6 months. And, a part of me really wants to do this as well. Sometimes, I feel I am living my life for the sake of people around me. So much so that i forgot what i really want to pursue, what i want to do or should do. After living for 28 years, i've really got nothing to show. We all tend to think we are so important. Truth is, if we die tomorrow, we will not have achieved anything. I so agree with that. Not that i will enjoy a great achievement from working 6 months in New Zealand, but at least i am not stuck in Singapore my whole life. Besides, K and I plan to apply to work in other countries after New Zealand (if we are eligible) = )

I've been reading this audio book called "The Adventure Capitalist" by Jim Rogers. This book was read by the author Jim Rogers himself, a very wealthy investor who drove a custom-made Mercedes 4 wheel drive roadster around the world to 116 countries with his wife. The whole journey took him 3 years. The book recorded his observations about social and political conditions in the world. Listening to this book made me feel so small, like a frog in the well. All the business trips in the world will never give me the kind of experience that can be gained only from living overseas for at least a few months. Doing things that the locals do, and not things that only tourists on holidays do.

K already told his parents about his decision. It seemed like second nature to them.. I guessed they too shared the same views. My parents on the other hand, will probably freak out and make a big fuss out of it. Taking unpaid leave or even the possibility of quitting my job in the current crisis will definitely not put a smile on their faces, or for that matter, money in their pockets. See!! I am living my life for others again.. Decisions, decisions.. I will just let fate decide. If our application is approved, it shall be a sign that i need to live my OWN life for once..

2 Response to "Pursuing our dreams.."

  1. Unknown Says:

    Oh wow! I have the same fantasies of working and living in different countries too! Hope both your New Zealand application is approved! and of cos company will approve your 6 month unpaid leave too.

    With most people, there is the lack of courage or self motivation to make such a drastic move. Now that there is someone dear to take the leap with you, it's a golden opportunity. Of course with such bad times, it's hard to give up stability. But then if you don't do it now, you will never do it again. Besides you might have other opportunities in NZ!

    Good Luck!

  2. Hollywood Tai Tai Says:

    It's not Kelly that left the message. It's me, Ilane.