DAY THREE: 14 March 09

This is it! The final battle! Today is our last match against our host Malaysia.

With the home ground advantage, the bets seemed to be on Malaysia. I was determined to win my ladies doubles. First of all, i still couldn't get over my defeat to Thailand. And secondly, i didn't like one of my opponents. I played with the same girl 3 years ago in the previous games, and she is just so snobbish loh!

As usual, ladies doubles was the first match. Before that, I brought Keson's racket to re-string and also changed the grip of his racket. I did some self-motivation within myself, and then got ready for the match. I went all out, but still lost. I even changed rackets and shoes after the first match, but to no avail.. On hindsight, that was rather dumb. Not that i am trying to push the blame, but even until now, i still think we would have won if my partner put in more effort. We didn't even reach the 6 points mark. I was so devastated by the defeat that i actually went to the washroom and cried. Alone. I don't think anybody knew. I knew that it was all about making friends, that it was a friendly match and all.. but i don't know why i just felt totally lousy that i couldn't be better than the Malaysians, that i wasn't better than the snobbish Malaysian girl. That match meant a lot to me, that's why. I felt that i had let my team down.

The rest of the matches were much more exciting than mine. In fact, i think i was more nervous watching the match than the players themselves.. haha..

Luckily, we managed to win. A close 3-2 triumph over Malaysia. = ) It was a glorious win nonetheless.

While i was waiting for the rest of the games to end, i shopped at the sports shop inside the sports club. Bought 2 YONEX polo tee-shirts and changed my racket grip to the rubber type. I also walked around the courts and watched a training session being held at the courts beside us. It was a kids training session and a really adorable sight.. I was actually quite happy to see so many kids interested in the sport.


After our victory, we headed back to the hotel, and met for lunch at the famous Bak Kut Teh restaurant. Then me and the other 2 girls headed to Chinatown to shop. But we met with heavy rain, and couldn't really enjoy our shopping experience. We took a cab back to the hotel less than an hour after we reached Chinatown.

Back at the hotel, my room mate and I went to check out the hotel gym. I was actually quite impressed by the gym. It was one of the largest hotel gyms i've ever seen. But the staff there (as expected) had no customer service at all. I asked one of them what the opening hours of the gym were, and she could just ask me to refer to the sign on the door. Best!

At about 5pm, i headed to the ballroom for the full dress rehearsal for the closing ceremony dinner. Me and my partner had been "arrowed" to go on stage to perform on behalf of the Singapore badminton team. Because we lost the most number of matches.. As if i didn't feel bad enough.

Anyway, I had to wear this super tight cheong sam as part of the performance. It was so tight i had to change just before we performed, otherwise i wouldn't be able to sit down and have dinner. The cheong sam would tear if i sat. It was that tight!

Among the 4 countries, I think Singapore had the worst cultural performance. we only had 2 days to practise, and almost all the people in the Singapore team went up to perform. It was a rojak performance where we sang songs in the 4 major languages of Indian, Chinese, Malay and English.

The rest of the countries chose to select a handful to put up much better performances. Malaysia even hired professional dancers to perform, so it was not the sportsmen who were performing. Overall, i enjoyed the Thai performance the most.. They danced to a fast Thai number and one of the girls, who played mixed doubles, could really dance! = )

After the Singapore performance, i thought i could change back to more comfortable clothes and continue eating my buffet dinner, but they had to do the prize giving ceremony for badminton immediately after our performance. And so i had to receive my gold medal in the super tight cheong sam on stage.. Super embarrassing!!

Dinner ended with our club president receiving the overall champion trophy on behalf of Singapore. Everyone cheered. It was a good feeling, triumphing over all the other 3 countries once again.. = )


Malaysian professionals dancing to a Sally Yeh number.. impressive!


The super tight cheong sam i had to don on stage..


Cultural performance by the Thai contingent


The entire Singapore team with our trophys and medals!


The champion badminton team..


The fruits of our labour..


After dinner, a small group of us met up at the hotel lobby and headed straight to Bukit Bintang for drinking and dancing. We ended up at Aloha, a Thai pub which was super crowded and popular because of their house performers, a trio of Thai girls and a handsome Thai bloke. Apparently, they could sing in Chinese and Cantonese as well. Impressive. I literally danced the night away. It was rare that i wore crocs to go clubbing, so i could manage the whole night of dancing without my feet aching! Although i don't know most of the people in my group, i must say we clicked rather well that night, and i totally enjoyed their company. One of the guys got a bit drunk, and he made me laughed until i cried. I haven't laughed so hard for the longest time...
= )

We went for supper after Aloha, and that was where he totally knocked out. He would talk to us, babble something, and then doze off to sleep.. then repeat the cycle again.. It was just so hilarious! We walked back to the hotel after supper, talking loudly and singing along the way like a bunch of drunkards.. it was so funny.. What a way to end the last night! = )






1 Response to "DAY THREE: 14 March 09"

  1. Hollywood Tai Tai Says:

    cos you are competitive?

    now you know more ppl from your company! more badminton kakis?