16 June: To Gisborne – First to see the light!

Neil cooked breakfast for K and I again this morning. It was the same bacon and eggs sunny side up. But this time, I added one piping hot raspberry and white chocolate muffin to my plate.. = )

We had breakfast together, chatted a bit, then K and I started packing up and loading our stuff into the car. We were “checking out” of the beach house (albeit very reluctantly) today, and going to the next host family in Gisborne. Neil gave us directions on a piece of paper, and a few small towns that we can consider stopping over for breaks. It was going to be a long 6 hour drive there. Initially, I told K it would be better if we stay one night at a town that’s in between our journey, but he didn’t want to and preferred to drive all the way to Gisborne.

We finally said our goodbyes, hugged and left the house around 930am. About an hour later, I realized I still had the keys to the beach house with me. Fortunately, we will be passing Glenis’ workplace and their home on the way to Gisborne, so eventually we dropped the keys with her colleague. Along the way, we also passed by this bookshop that we had visited before at Mount Mauganui, where they had a section of books selling for 50 cents. We had bought 6 books and had not even finished reading them since, but we popped into the shop and bought another 6 more that day… = )

It was a long long drive and we both read a book during the drive. K listened to the “Angels & Demons” audio tape, while I read Jodi Picoult’s “The Pact” until I got giddy reading on the winding roads.. We stopped over and parked by a beach and had lunch in the car; lunch being the free chicken wrap, vege quiche and muffins we got previously. All cold. Damn stupid pigeons must have seen or smelled the food cause a whole lot of them began to hover above and circle around our car. One super daring one even landed on the bonnet!

Our 6 hour journey continued after lunch.. More windy roads and nature.. We saw at least 6 full rainbows, one of which was the most solid rainbow I’ve seen so far (see photo below). All the colors were so clear and obvious, and the full arch of the rainbow was just so mesmerizing.. I feel so happy looking at these rainbows.. Once, we drove into a rainbow, our first time, and we just went from no rain to rain when we passed the rainbow. It was so cool! = )



We finally reached Gisborne around 530pm. By then it had grown dark. I text my hosts Robyne and Ross to inform them we had arrived, then K and I went to look for dinner. We ended up having Subway (1 foot long tuna melt) after arguing for a while. Cause I had craving for pizza or burger king, but it was too expensive.. = (

By the time we found the house, it was close to 615pm. But the skies looked like 9pm in Singapore. We drove around in circles for a while looking for the house number, but eventually found it. Cause the house number was hidden by overgrown bushes. It was a HUGE house, and really old but with a lot of character. K said it looked like a witch doctor’s house at first sight. = )
Robyne and Ross were really friendly, we chatted a bit, and Robyne showed us to our bedroom, which was big. And their bathroom is bigger than our bedroom back home. They have a really pretty cat called Bella. What a suitable name, I thought. I played with the super friendly Bella a bit and got my trousers all furry after that. She is one horny cat I think. Keeps jumping up on people’s legs, rubbing herself against people and things, and rolling over to be scratched. = )

Anyways, K went to bed early and I showered and used the internet until about 1030pm before going to bed. We had asked Robyne and Ross what time the sun rises in Gisborne, because it is the first place in the world to see sun rise, and I had thought about watching the sun rise. Ross said 7am, which wasn’t too bad cause I had been expecting a 5am sun rise. Nonetheless, we couldn’t get ourselves off the bed the next day to save ourselves, much less watch sun rise.. haha..

Our bedroom had one big heater in the shape of a 40 inch plasma TV, but it was pretty much useless. K had to switch bed sides with cause I simply couldn’t sleep with such cold temperatures. It helped a bit, but I still didn’t sleep well. I couldn’t wait for the sun to rise the next day and give me warmth..

2 Response to "16 June: To Gisborne – First to see the light!"

  1. Hollywood Tai Tai Says:

    Babe, the cat is not horny. She likes you. Cats like to rub themselves against things/people they like so they can leave their scent on them.

  2. Hollywood Tai Tai Says:

    Bella is marking you as her territory lor. hehehe!